Taquitos dorados de papa (crispy potato tacos)
Enjoy these tacos with your favourite fillings, such as broad beans, refried beans, cheese or curd cheese. Make them ahead and simply warm before serving
- Serves: 4 persons
- 400g potatoes, peeled, cooked and mashed
- 100g cotija or otomi cheese, grated, plus extra crumbled to serve
- 3spring onions, thinly sliced
- 1small tin of chipotle chillies in adobo, sauce only
- 12corn tortillas
- vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- sea salt flakes
- Iceberg lettuce or white cabbage, cut into thin strips
- soured cream
- chilli sauce or salsa
Step 1In a bowl, mix the mashed potatoes with the grated cheese, spring onions, adobo sauce and salt to taste.
Step 2Heat the tortillas on a flat griddle or large frying pan until they soften, then divide the potato mixture between them and roll them up tightly. Arrange with the join facing down or close them with a toothpick.
Step 3Heat enough oil for deep-frying in a deep fryer or deep, heavy pan to 190C or until a cube of bread browns in 10 seconds. Fry the tacos, in batches, until golden, transferring them to a metal colander when they are done to drain excess oil.
Step 4Put a layer of lettuce or cabbage on a serving plate, then add the tacos and garnish with guacamole, soured cream and crumbled cheese. Serve with chilli sauce or salsa.