Recipe Tip: Szechuan Style Aubergine
Top Recipe for 2 Persons by Severin Corti. All ingredients and tips for getting it right. Chilli is the best remedy for the winter chill. Here is the perfect recipe for those who like their food with a little spice.
- 700 gaubergine
- 2 tablespoonchilli bean paste
- 2 tablespoonsoy sauce
- 2 tablespoonblack rice vinegar/balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoonrice wine or sherry
- 2 tablespoonsugar
- 2 tablespoonvegetable oil
- 3garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoonchopped ginger
- 1 tablespooncornflour
- ½ tablespoonSzechuan pepper, ground
- 1spring onion, finely sliced
- 1 teaspoon(s)sesame seeds, roasted
Step 1Cut the aubergine into 5cm long and 1cm wide pieces.
Step 2Prepare the sauce: in a small bowl, mix water with the chilli bean paste, soy sauce, vinegar, rice wine or sherry, sugar and cornflour.
Step 3Heat the oil in a wok or large skillet, add the aubergine and sauté over high heat until evenly browned for at least 3 minutes. Stir frequently. Add the garlic and ginger as well as the ground Szechuan peppercorns (alternatively use red, seeded and chopped chillies) and fry for just under a minute.
Step 4Add the prepared sauce and stir well. Continue to simmer for about 4 minutes, until the aubergine is silky soft and the sauce has thickened enough to stick to the back of a spoon.
Step 5Garnish the finished dish with the spring onion and sesame seeds.