Recipe Tip: Beef Rendang
Top Recipe for 4 Persons. All ingredients and tips for getting it right. This recipe from West Sumatra is quite rightly considered exemplary of the strong yet subtle and balanced seasoning of Indonesia's cuisine.
- 12medium hot dried chillies, rehydrated in hot water for 10 minutes - or fresh
- 1small onion, peeled, finely chopped
- 5garlic cloves, peeled, finely chopped
- 3lemongrass stalks, without the outer leaves and ends, finely chopped
- 1 ½ tablespoonchopped fresh galangal (Asia shop)
- 1 ½ tablespoonchopped fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoonTerasi (dried shrimp paste)
- 2 tablespoonfish sauce
- 2 tablespoonvegetable oil (peanut, sunflower, grape seed)
- 1 kgBeefshank or
- 1 ⅗ kgoxtail
- 1 tablespoonvegetable oil (see above)
- 1cinnamon stick
- 1 tablespooncumin
- 2bay leaves
- 1 tablespoonfennel seeds
- 3star anise
- 1 teaspoon(s)cardamom, ground
- ½nutmeg, ground
- 1white, lower half of a lemongrass stalk, pressed down firmly
- 1 cancoconut milk
- 2 teaspoon(s)Tamarind paste
- 6fresh kaffir lime leaves, cut into very fine strips
- 4 tablespooncoconut flakes
- 1 tablespoonpalm sugar or brown cane sugar
- 1cast iron pan with a tight-fitting lid
Step 1Preheat the oven to just under 120 °C.
Step 2For the spice paste, chop the chilli and blend with all other ingredients in a blender.
Step 3Cut the meat into large 5 cm cubes.
Step 4Pour a tablespoon of oil in a cast iron pan and let it come up to an elevated temperature, just before it starts to smoke. Sear the meat in several batches until browned. Add cumin and fennel seeds and fry vigorously.
Step 5Reduce heat, remove the meat, add the spice paste and roast for 2-3 minutes until the moisture has evaporated. Add the remaining curry ingredients and spices to the meat and mix. Bring it up to temperature and put on a lid. Turn down the temperature to a gentle simmer.
Step 6Put in the oven and check after 6-7 hours. The meat should be wonderfully softened, the sauce reduced and caramelized to a deep brown. If the sauce is still too light, remove the meat, place the pan with the sauce on heat and reduce further, stirring often to avoid catching. When the sauce becomes thick and pasty, add the meat back in and continue to roast until all the liquid has almost evaporated and everything has turned a rich deep brown colour. Beef rendang should be stewed until soft and almost dry.
Step 7Garnish with fresh coriander and chilli and serve with plenty of jasmine rice.
Step 8Beef Fillet Colbert Tender beef fillet, spicy sauce - cabbage can be so noble and classically good. It takes a bit of work, but it's worth it! Meat
Step 9Beef Tartare with Herb Butter This classic from "Flatschers" restaurant in Vienna, is only prepared with the best beef.
Step 10Beef Fillet and Burrata Two Italian classics brought together as one dish? Carpaccio meets fresh burrata.
Step 11Classic Beef Goulash The secret to a perfect goulash is simplicity - slow-cooked onions, meat and paprika create a perfect hearty dish. Meat
Step 12Austrian Classic: Tafelspitz Boiled Beef This is the famous Tafelspitz recipe, as served by Ewald and Mario Plachutta of the famous Restaurant Plachutta in Vienna. Meat