Prawn and watermelon salad
This vibrant, refreshing salad can easily be made vegetarian by using soy sauce instead of fish sauce, and omitting the prawns – it's even better the next day
- Serves: 4 persons
- 4rice vermicelli noodles (about 150g)
- 1bird's-eye chillies, finely sliced, plus more to serve
- 3limes, juiced, plus lime wedges to serve
- 1tbsp brown sugar
- 1tbsp fish or soy sauce
- handful of mint leaves, shredded
- ½cucumber, deseeded and sliced at an angle
- 1avocado, sliced
- 200g cooked peeled king prawns
- ½small watermelon, cut into bite-sized wedges
- small handful of salted roasted peanuts or cashews, chopped
Step 1Put the noodles in a heatproof bowl and cover with a kettleful of just-boiled water. Leave to soak for 8-10 minutes or until tender, while you make the dressing. Whisk together the chillies, lime juice, sugar and fish sauce. Taste for seasoning, adding more soy or fish sauce, sugar or lime to balance the dressing so it is sweet, salty, sour and spicy.
Step 2Drain the noodles well in a sieve, return to the bowl, then pour over most of the dressing. Add the mint and give everything a good toss to coat in the dressing. Transfer to a big platter or four plates. Top with the cucumber, avocado, prawns, watermelon and nuts. Spoon over the remaining dressing and scatter with mint leaves and more chilli to serve.