This hearty, no-cook salad is a real taste of summer. It’s good value because it can be eaten on its own or goes well with just about anything; grilled fish, chicken, prawns – you name it!
- Serves: 4 persons
- 1small cucumber, roughly chopped
- 1large red onion, roughly chopped
- 3very ripe tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1small loaf country-style bread, cut into large cubes
- 5tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 3tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2tbsp capers, rinsed and drained
- 1-2 tsp (to taste) sugar
- 12basil leaves, roughly crushed
Step 1Put the cucumber, red onion and tomatoes in a large bowl and add the bread. Mix well with your hands and season with salt and pepper.
Step 2Whisk the olive oil, red wine vinegar, capers, sugar and some salt and pepper together and add to the bowl with the basil. Give it a good stir, then cover and leave in the fridge overnight for the flavours to mellow. The bread should feel moist but not soggy.