A great sharing dish at a dinner party, this recipe from Ling Ling’s in Hackney features mushrooms cooked in doubanjiang paste, served with hummus and crispy wonton wrappers
- Serves: 4 persons
- ½small onion, roughly chopped
- 75g pickled mustard greens, roughly chopped (available in most Asian specialist supermarkets)
- 3tbsp vegetable oil, plus extra for deep-frying
- 2garlic cloves, crushed
- 350g chestnut mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 1carrot, cut into matchsticks
- 5 ½tbsp black vinegar
- 1tbsp light soy sauce
- 1tbsp douchi (fermented salted black beans, available in most Asian specialist supermarkets)
- 1heaped tbsp doubanjiang paste (chilli bean sauce, available in most Asian specialist supermarkets)
- ½tbsp ground ginger
- ¼tsp white pepper
- 8small wonton wrappers (available in most Asian specialist supermarkets)
- 500g hummus
- 1tbsp snipped chives, to serve
Step 1Tip the onion and mustard greens into a blender, and pulse for 1-2 mins or until finely broken down. Set aside.
Step 2Heat the oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat and cook the garlic for 2 mins until fragrant and golden. Add the onion mix. Cook for 5 mins until soft. Stir in the mushrooms and carrots. Cook for 6-8 mins until all the veg has softened.
Step 3Add the vinegar, soy, douchi, doubanjiang, ginger and white pepper, stirring to combine, and cook for 6-7 mins or until the mixture has thickened and most of the liquid has evaporated. Remove from the heat, set aside and keep warm.
Step 4Heat a 3cm depth of oil in a deep pan over a medium heat until it reaches 170C or a cube of bread dropped in browns within 30 seconds. Line a large plate with kitchen paper.
Step 5Fry the wonton wrappers in batches (you should be able to fit about three at a time) for 15-20 seconds on each side, or until deeply golden brown, crisp and bubbly. Remove to the prepared plate using a slotted spoon and leave to drain.
Step 6Spread the hummus over a large serving platter and top with the mushroom mixture. Sprinkle over the chives and serve with the crispy wonton wrappers on the side for dunking.