Fermented mango chutney
Fermentation adds an extra dimension of flavour to this sweet, spiced mango chutney. It takes a while for the fruit to break down and ferment, so we like to leave this one for 7-14 days.
- 500g of mango, finely chopped
- 2garlic cloves, very finely sliced
- 1knob of ginger, peeled and grated
- 1small red onion, very finely diced
- 1handful of coriander, roughly chopped
- 1tbsp of curry powder
- 2tsp black mustard seeds
- 1tsp nigella seeds
- 1tsp cumin seeds
- 1tsp caster sugar
- 1tsp salt
- 100ml of water
Step 1Combine all the ingredients in a bowl, mixing well. Pack into a sterilised jar and seal
Step 2Leave the chutney in a dark place, ‘burping’ every day to release the gas. Begin tasting the chutney after 7 days, and keep fermenting to your taste. Once you’re happy with the flavour, transfer to the fridge to stop the fermentation process.