Recipe Tip: Spinach & Rhubarb Stew with Saffron Rice
Top Recipe for 2 Persons. All ingredients and tips for getting it right. Spinach doesn't always have to be accompanied by a fried egg and roast potatoes. Why not try a delicious classic from Iran?
- 1 cup(s)rice (approx 128g)
- 150 gbutter
- 4saffron threads
- 500 gfresh spinach
- 1 teaspoon(s)ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon(s)ground coriander seeds
- 1thumbnail-sized piece of ginger, finely chopped or grated
- 1chilli (amount to taste), chopped
- 2medium onions, thinly sliced
- 1garlic clove, finely chopped
- 200 grhubarb (2-3 stalks), cut into 1 cm thick slices
- somevegetable stock
- ½ bunch(es)parsley, chopped
- ½ bunch(es)coriander, chopped
- 5dill stalks, leaves plucked and chopped
- 1 stalk(s)mint, leaves plucked and chopped
- sour cream for dressing (to taste)
Step 1Wash the rice. Melt 50g butter in a pot and add the saffron, fry briefly. Add the rice, stir to coat in butter and saffron, then add the necessary amount of water and cook the rice.
Step 2Blanch the spinach, squeeze out all the moisture and chop coarsely. Heat 100g butter in a frying pan. Add the ground spices, ginger and chilli and fry briefly (approx 30 seconds).
Step 3Add the onion and fry until soft and translucent (about 5 minutes). Add the garlic and fry for another 30 seconds. Add the rhubarb to the pan.
Step 4Pour in stock to just cover and simmer until rhubarb is soft (about 5 minutes).
Step 5Add spinach, mix briefly and simmer until most of the liquid has evaporated.
Step 6Serve on a platter with a dollop of sour cream on the top, or on the side if preferred.