Burmese grilled aubergine
This grilled aubergine side dish comes from Burmese restaurant Laphet. Dressed with shallot, chilli, lime and roasted peanuts, it really packs a punch in terms of flavour and texture
- Serves: 2 persons
- 1large aubergine
- 1-2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 2tbsp chopped roasted peanuts
- 3tbsp ready-made crispy shallots
- handful of coriander leaves
- 4tbsp sunflower oil
- 1small garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 1long shallot, peeled and finely sliced
- 1bird’s-eye chilli, finely sliced
- small handful of coriander, chopped
- 1lime, juiced to make 2 tbsp
- 2tbsp fish sauce
Step 1Heat the grill to high. Brush the aubergine with the oil, put on a baking tray and cook under the grill for 20 minutes, turning every 5 minutes, until the skin is charred and the aubergine is soft.
Step 2Mix together all of the dressing ingredients in a bowl.
Step 3Put the grilled aubergine on a large plate and cut a large incision down its length, then open it up as you would a jacket potato. Spoon over the dressing and garnish with the peanuts, crispy shallots and coriander leaves before serving.