Recipe Tip: Fish Pie
Top Recipe by Falstaff Editorial Team. All ingredients and tips for getting it right. Andrew McConnell, chef and owner of the Builders Arms Hotel in Melbourne, Australia, has shared his Signature Fish Pie recipe with us.
- 3 tablespoonolive oil
- 3onions, finely sliced
- 2 clove(s)garlic, finely sliced
- 1large head of fennel, cored and finely sliced
- 5prawn heads (the prawns themselves go into the filiing)
- 180 mlwhite wine
- 300 gpeeled potatoes, sliced
- 625 mlchicken stock
- 185 mldouble cream
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 300 gskinned ocean trout fillets, cut into large pieces
- 6raw large tiger prawns, peeled and halved (heads go into the sauce ingredients)
- 950 gskinned flathead or rock ling fillet, cut into large pieces
- 12large sorrel leaves, torn
- 6 tablespoonchopped dill
- zest of 1 lemon
- 3 tablespoonchopped capers
- fish pie sauce (recipe above)
- puff pastry, enough to cover your pie forms
- 1egg, beaten
Step 1In a large, heavy-based pan, gently cook the onions, garlic and fennel in olive oil until soft.
Step 2Add the prawn heads to the saucepan and cook until they turn pink.
Step 3Raise the heat, deglaze the pan with the white wine and simmer the wine until it is almost totally reduced.
Step 4Add the potatoes and chicken stock and simmer gently until the potatoes are soft and the stock is reduced by two-thirds.
Step 5Add the cream and bring the mixture to the boil.
Step 6Remove the prawn heads before pureeing the sauce in a blender until smooth.
Step 7Strain the sauce and season to taste with salt and a little pepper.
Step 8Preheat oven to 190ºC.
Step 9First, cut shapes out of the puff pastry to top the pies with. You can use one of the pie dishes as a template. Just be sure to cut the pastry about one centimetre wider, all around, than the edge of the bowl.
Step 10Divide the fish, seafood, herbs, zest and capers between six deep pie dishes and spoon about 200 ml of the fish pie sauce into each bowl. Give it a little stir to distribute the sauce around the fish.
Step 11Dampen the edges of the bowls with a little water and place a disc of pastry over the top. Press the pastry lightly onto the rim of the bowl and brush with a little beaten egg. Pierce a couple of holes in the top of the pie to let the steam escape.
Step 12Bake for about 20 minutes until cooked through and golden.