Warm freekeh salad
This hearty, wholesome salad is packed with flavour, colour and texture. The freekeh lends nutty, smoky notes, while lemon and leafy green herbs add freshness and zing
- Serves: 4 persons
- 130g freekeh wheat, rinsed and drained
- 2garlic cloves, lightly bashed
- 2oregano sprigs
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 25ml olive oil
- ½lemon, juiced
- 30g flat-leaf parsley, finely sliced and stems discarded
- 30g coriander, finely sliced and stems discarded
- 2large spring onions, finely sliced and stems discarded
- 50g toasted pine nuts
- 20g laben kishk or aged ricotta salata
Step 1Put the freekeh, garlic and oregano in a large saucepan and add some salt and pepper.
Step 2Add enough water to sit 5cm above the freekeh, and cook over a medium heat for 30 mins or until the freekeh is soft but not overcooked – it should still have a bit of bite.
Step 3Drain the freekeh and transfer to a frying pan. Warm the freekeh over a medium heat with 2 tbsp of the olive oil. Season to taste with more salt and pepper and fry for 3-4 mins until warmed through.
Step 4Remove from the heat, then remove and discard the crushed garlic cloves and oregano stalks before adding the rest of the olive oil. Toss with the lemon juice, fresh herbs, spring onions and toasted pine nuts. Grate plenty of laben kishk over the top.