Butternut squash risotto
Indulgent but easy enough for weeknights. This butternut squash risotto with sage will hit the spot when you need Italian comfort food. Ready in half an hour
- Serves: 4 persons
- 1small onion, chopped
- olive oil
- butternut squash, or pumpkin 250g, peeled and diced
- 200g carnaroli or arborio (risotto) rice
- 800ml vegetable or chicken stock, hot
- a few leaves sage, chopped
- parmesan or grana padano, grated to make 2 tbsp, to serve
Step 1Fry the onion gently in 1 tbsp oil in a deep frying pan or sauté pan until soft but not browned. Add the squash and rice and stir for a few seconds to coat the grains with oil.
Step 2Add a couple of ladles of stock and bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring, until almost all the stock is absorbed.
Step 3Add the rest of the stock a little at a time, cooking until each addition is absorbed before adding the next, until the squash is soft and the rice is creamy but still al dente. Stir in the sage and season well. Divide the risotto between bowls and sprinkle with cheese to serve.