Purple sprouting broccoli is at its best in early spring – make the most of it with this zingy stir-fry, loaded with veg and flavoured with soy, ginger, garlic and chilli
- Serves: 2 persons
- 2tbsp sunflower oil
- 300g purple sprouting broccoli, stalks finely sliced and florets halved or left whole
- 1stick celery, thinly sliced
- 1carrot, halved lengthways and thinly sliced
- 3cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- thumb-sized piece ginger, cut into matchsticks
- 1red chilli, halved lengthways and thinly sliced
- 3spring onions, 2 cut into 3cm segments, 1 thinly sliced
- 2tsp cornflour
- 1tsp caster sugar
- 1tbsp dark soy sauce
- 2tbsp oyster sauce
- 1tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 275g pack ready-cooked egg noodles
Step 1Heat the sunflower oil in a wok or large frying pan over a high heat. Stir-fry the broccoli stalks, celery and carrot for 4-5 minutes or until beginning to caramelise. Add the garlic, ginger, three-quarters of the chilli and the spring onion segments, and cook for 2 minutes.
Step 2Spoon the cornflour into a bowl and stir with a few teaspoons of water to make a thin paste. Add in another 100ml of water, along with the sugar, soy, oyster sauce and sesame oil. Tip into the pan with the broccoli florets and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook for 3-4 minutes or until the sauce has thickened and the florets have cooked through. Add the noodles and toss until reheated.
Step 3Divide between bowls and top with the remaining chilli and the thinly sliced spring onion.