Nasi goreng (Indonesian fried rice)
This chicken fried rice is a classic Indonesian dish, with heat coming from galangal and white pepper, and a touch of sweetness from the kecap manis
- Serves: 2 persons
- 2skinless chicken thigh fillets, cut into small, bite-sized cubes
- to taste sea salt and white pepper
- for frying coconut or sunflower oil
- 2cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 8cm piece (about 40g) galangal or ginger, finely chopped
- 2thai shallots (or 1 long shallot), thinly sliced
- a handful green beans, chopped into small chunks
- 2spring onions, chopped into large chunks
- ¼tsp ground turmeric
- 95g jasmine or basmati rice, cooked and cooled (240g cooked weight)
- 2tbsp kecap manis
- 5 ½tsp fish sauce
- 2tsp light soy sauce
- 2duck or hen’s eggs
- 1tbsp ready-made crispy onions or fried shallots
- ½long red chilli, thinly sliced
- prawn crackers
Step 1Season the chicken with salt and white pepper. Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a large frying pan or wok over a high heat and fry the chicken for 5 minutes until caramelised and cooked through. Remove and set aside.
Step 2Add another tbsp of oil to the pan, add the garlic, galangal and shallots, and cook over a medium-high heat until fragrant. Add the green beans, spring onions and turmeric, and cook for 1 minute.
Step 3Add the rice to the pan, breaking up any clumps with a wooden spoon. Ensure all the ingredients are well combined and the rice is warmed through. Return the chicken to the pan. Season with the kecap manis, fish sauce, soy sauce and a large pinch of white pepper, and extra salt if needed.
Step 4Meanwhile, fry the eggs. Place a large non-stick frying pan over a medium-high heat and add 1 tbsp of oil. Once shimmering, crack the eggs directly into the oil. Cook for 2-3 minutes until the whites are partially cooked. Tilt the pan and spoon the hot oil over the egg whites until they are fully cooked (I like my yolk runny, but cook yours to your liking). Season with salt.
Step 5Divide the fried rice between two plates and garnish with the fried shallots, sliced chilli and fried eggs on top. Serve with crackers.