Recipe Tip: Winter Spiced Granola
Top Recipe for 15 Persons by Ben Colvill. All ingredients and tips for getting it right. The world of homemade granola is just a moment away – well, 30 moments to be exact. Ben Colvill shows how this is possible.
- 300 grolled oats (we recommend a 50/50 mix of smaller with larger flakes for texture)
- 100 gpumpkin seeds
- 100 gsunflower seeds
- 50 gflaked almonds
- 50 groughly chopped pecans
- 25 gsesame seeds
- 2 teaspoon(s)ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoon(s)ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon(s)ground cardamon
- 1 teaspoon(s)sea salt flakes
- 2 tablespooncoconut oil
- 100 mlextra-virgin olive oil
- 125 mlmaple syrup or 150 grams (roughly 4 generous tablespoons) of golden syrup
- 1 tablespoonvanilla extract
- 50 gdesiccated coconut
- 200 gmixed dried fruits (we used equal amounts of sultanas, cranberries, finely chopped (soft) dried apricots, and finely chopped Medjoool dates
Step 1Pre-heat the oven to 180°C/160° fan, 350°F, gas mark 4. Line two large, shallow baking trays with baking parchment.
Step 2In a large bowl mix together the oats, nuts, spices and salt.
Step 3Melt the coconut oil over a medium heat, then add the maple (or golden) syrup and finally the vanilla. Mix together.
Step 4Pour the oil mixture over the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly to coat everything in the golden slick.
Step 5Divide between the baking trays, spreading out into a thin, even layer.
Step 6Bake for an initial 20 minutes.
Step 7Remove from the oven, sprinkle over the desiccated coconut and fork through, simultaneously turning the oats as best you can. N.B. the oats at the edge tend to brown more quickly, so be sure to mix these back in as you go to ensure even toastiness.
Step 8Bake for a further 10 minutes.
Step 9The oats should now be a light, burnished bronze. Bake for a further 5 mins if you prefer a darker and more intensely nutty blend.
Step 10Remove from the oven and leave to cool slightly before transferring to a bowl big enough to hold oats and fruit.
Step 11Whilst the oaty mixture is still warm, add your chosen dried fruits and mix to combine.
Step 12Once fully cooled transfer to an air-tight jar and label proprietorially.