Cucumber and tomato salad
Inspired by the food of Tel Aviv, this crunchy chopped salad comes dressed with a creamy tahini sauce and is a fresh accompaniment to kebabs
- Serves: 2 persons
- 5good quality, ripe tomatoes, cut into 2-3 mm dice
- 3mini cucumbers (Turkish or Greek-style), cut into 2-3 mm dice
- ½white onion, cut into 2-3 mm dice
- 30g flat-leaf parsley, chopped and stalks discarded
- 15g fresh mint, chopped and stalks discarded
- 25ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 25ml lemon juice
- 100g tahini sauce (see recipe below) or use shop-bought
- 240g tahini
- 2tsp lemon juice
- ½garlic clove, crushed
Step 1Drain the diced tomatoes in a sieve or colander, then combine with all the other salad ingredients in a mixing bowl with some sea salt and black pepper to taste.
Step 2To make your own tahini sauce, put the tahini in a mixing bowl and whisk in 200ml cold water, a third at a time. When it has a smooth, creamy consistency, add the lemon juice, garlic and ¼ tsp of fine sea salt. (The sauce can be stored in the fridge, but starts to lose depth of flavour after a day.) Pile the salad into a bowl and serve with the tahini sauce drizzled on top.