Grilled vegetable skewers with pistachio pesto yogurt
These simple grilled courgette, onion and mushroom kebabs make for barbecuing at its best. Serve with a quick pistachio yogurt, studded with ruby-red pomegranate seeds
- Serves: 6 persons
- 3garlic cloves, finely grated
- 1lemon, juiced
- ½tsp sea salt flakes
- ½tsp pul biber chilli flakes
- ½tsp dried mint
- ½tsp dried oregano
- 4tbsp olive oil
- 3courgettes, cut into 4cm chunks
- 3small red onions, skinned, quartered and separated into layers
- 12chestnut mushrooms, cleaned
- 150g shelled pistachios, toasted and cooled
- zest of 1 lemon plus 1 tbsp of juice
- 1garlic clove, finely grated
- 10g mint leaves
- 50ml olive oil
- 250g full-fat greek yogurt
- 1tbsp pomegranate molasses
Step 1In a bowl combine the garlic for the skewers with the lemon juice, salt, spices and herbs, then whisk in the oil and toss in the veg to marinate for a few hours.
Step 2To make the yogurt dip, heat the oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6 and roast the pistachios for 6-7 mins or until crisp and toasted. Blitz them in a food processor with a pinch of salt until you have a fine crumb. Add in the lemon zest and juice, garlic and mint, and blitz again until you have a coarse paste. Add the oil and whizz to a smooth paste – if it’s too thick, add 2-3 tbsp of water and whizz again.
Step 3In a big bowl, fold the yogurt with the molasses, season, then swirl in the pistachio paste to create gorgeous contrasts of cream and green.
Step 4Skewer the vegetables onto heatproof metal or soaked wooden skewers, and grill under the grill’s highest setting (or over the barbecue) for 8-10 mins. Serve with flatbreads, salad and the yogurt.