Smoked mackerel caesar salad
This is an upgraded classic that's perfect for summer with smoked mackerel and crispy onions. The caesar dressing also works well with chicken salads, new potatoes or salmon
- Serves: 2 persons
- 2slices of seeded bread
- 2tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2tsp mixed seeds
- 1tbsp ready-made crispy fried onions
- 1little gem lettuce, leaves separated and torn if large
- 2smoked mackerel fillets, skin removed, broken into bite-sized pieces
- 2cooked crispy bacon, crumbled (optional)
- chives, snipped
- 3tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 4tbsp greek yogurt
- 3anchovies in oil, finely chopped
- 3garlic cloves, crushed
- 20g parmesan, finely grated, plus some shavings to serve
- ½lemon, juiced
- 2tsp Dijon mustard
Step 1Toast the bread, then cut into 1cm cubes. Tip into a bowl, drizzle with the olive oil, then add a pinch of salt, the seeds and crispy onions. Toss to coat the croutons in the seeds and onions.
Step 2In another large bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients until smooth and creamy. Loosen with 1-2 tbsp of water to make a drizzling consistency if needed, and season with a little salt (the anchovies will add plenty) and lots of cracked black pepper. Remove half of the dressing from the bowl.
Step 3Toss the lettuce, mackerel and bacon, if using, in the dressing, and toss to coat everything evenly. Divide between plates and scatter with the seedy croutons and chives, and some parmesan shavings to serve, alongside the extra dressing to add if people prefer.