Recipe Tip: Broccoli Soup
Top Recipe for 4 Persons by Max La Manna. All ingredients and tips for getting it right. Normally we only eat florets of broccoli, but there is so much goodness and flavour in the stalk – this simple, delicious soup from Max La Manna's book ensures that none of it is lost.
- 3large broccoli stalks with the florets removed from the stalk
- 1small leek, sliced into 1cm rounds
- 1 lhomemade vegetable stock, alternatively you can use 2 vegetable stock cubes
- some extra virgin olive oil
- a pinch of smoked paprika
- 1 handfulleafy vegetables (rocket, spinach or kale), and more for garnish
- 1 teaspoon(s)grated fresh ginger
- 200 mlmilk (or coconut milk if you prefer)
- 3radishes, thinly sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 handfulcooked peas
Step 1Cut the broccoli stalks and the florets into 5 cm pieces. Bring a pot of water to the boil and cook the broccoli and leeks in it for 3-5 minutes. Drain the vegetables - keep the cooking water for a vegetable stock; see tips. Set aside a few of the florets to use as garnish.
Step 2Heat the vegetable stock in a separate pan over a medium-low heat for 5 minutes, or until it comes to a gentle simmer.
Step 3Place the broccoli and leeks in a blender with a generous drizzle of olive oil, some salt and pepper and the paprika. Add the hot vegetable stock, the leafy greens and the ginger. Puree together on high speed for 2-3 minutes until smooth and creamy. Slowly add the milk or coconut milk on a low speed.
Step 4Serve in a bowl with the radishes, reserved broccoli florets and the remaining leafy vegetables. Leftover peas make a great side dish and stale bread made into croutons adds a great crunch on top.