Pizza With Sweet and Hot Peppers
This pizza is in the light-handed California style, with no tomato sauce. If you prepare the dough in advance (it takes only 20 minutes or so, and can be refrigerated for several days), putting a pizza or two together for dinner is actually a breeze, arguably easier than making a pasta. Omit the sausage for a vegetarian version.
- Serves: 4 persons
- 6cups thinly sliced bell pepper or other sweet pepper
- 2cups thinly sliced red onion
- 1jalapeño pepper, thinly sliced
- 2garlic cloves, minced
- 3tablespoons olive oil
- 4balls of pizza dough, ready to stretch and bake (see recipe)
- All-purpose flour, for dusting
- 8ounces/225 grams low-moisture mozzarella or Fontina, grated
- 1pound/450 grams fresh mozzarella
- 8ounces/225 grams Italian fennel sausage (2 sausages in casings), cut into 1/2-inch pieces (optional)
- 1tablespoon chopped fresh marjoram
- Basil leaves, for garnish
Step 1Prepare the pepper mixture: Place peppers, onion, jalapeño, garlic and oil in a mixing bowl. Season well with salt and toss to distribute seasoning, then set aside.
Step 2Heat oven to 500 degrees and place a baking stone or heavy baking sheet on middle rack.
Step 3Shape the dough: Pat 1 dough ball to a flat disc, lightly dust both sides with flour and stretch by hand to a 10-inch diameter. Alternatively, lightly dust dough with flour and roll out with a pin. Place dough circle on a parchment-lined rimless baking sheet (or use a rimmed baking sheet turned upside down, or a pizza peel).
Step 4Sprinkle each pizza evenly with 2 ounces of grated cheese, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Top each with 4 ounces sliced fresh mozzarella. Arrange the pepper mixture over the cheeses and dot each pizza with 2 ounces of sausage meat in very small pieces. Sprinkle with a pinch of marjoram.
Step 5To bake, quickly slip the pizza, still on the parchment, onto the baking stone. Bake for 5 to 7 minutes, until dough is well browned and pepper mixture is slightly charred in spots. Use a large spatula to remove pizza from oven, discard parchment and place on a large cutting board. Garnish with basil leaves and cut into slices.