Arugula Salad With Peaches, Goat Cheese and Basil
This simple, quintessential summer salad is a reminder that seasonal ingredients at their very best don’t need much fussing (or much cooking at all, in this case). Here, peppery arugula and earthy goat cheese get brightened with juicy summer peaches, but the recipe can be tweaked to suit all seasons: If you can’t find ripe peaches, you can use cherries, strawberries, plums, raspberries or even cherry tomatoes in their place.
- Serves: 4 persons
- ¼cup pine nuts
- ¼cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2tablespoons champagne vinegar or white wine vinegar
- ½teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼teaspoon black pepper
- 4to 5 ounces baby arugula
- 2ripe peaches, pitted and cut into 1/4-inch slices (about 10 ounces)
- ½cup julienned fresh basil leaves
- 2ounces creamy goat cheese, crumbled (about ½ cup), plus more to taste
Step 1In a small sauté pan, toast the pine nuts over medium heat, tossing often, until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat.
Step 2In a small liquid measuring cup or bowl, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper.
Step 3Place the arugula in a large salad bowl. Pour just enough dressing over the greens to moisten, and toss to coat. Add the peaches, basil, goat cheese and toasted pine nuts and toss to coat. Add more goat cheese and dressing if desired. Toss gently and serve immediately.