Pressure Cooker Kalbi Jjim
One of Korea’s most loved dishes, kalbi jjim is a rich, braised short rib and vegetable meal that is traditionally reserved for special occasions. Luckily, a pressure cooker makes it possible to enjoy this special one-pot stew whenever the craving hits. The ribs and vegetables simmer in the garlic and ginger-infused sauce until the meat falls off the bone and the vegetables absorb all of the rich juices. Bones give the sauce extra flavor, but boneless ribs also work great here. Chop leftover meat and vegetables and serve in corn tortillas with salsa for a tasty taco. If you prefer pork, try pressure cooker Korean soy-glazed pork belly, which has similar flavors to this dish.
- Serves: 4 persons
- ¾cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 2scallions, finely chopped (about 1/4 cup)
- ¼cup turbinado sugar (or 3 tablespoons granulated sugar)
- 2tablespoons minced fresh garlic
- 2tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 1teaspoon ground black pepper, plus more for seasoning
- 4pounds meaty English-cut short ribs (about 2 inches in length and thickness)
- Kosher salt
- 1pound daikon radish, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 12ounces russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 12ounces carrots, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- Steamed rice and kimchi, for serving
Step 1In a pressure cooker, combine soy sauce, scallions, sugar, garlic, ginger and 1 teaspoon black pepper. Lightly season short ribs with salt and pepper, and add to the cooker. Toss ribs in the sauce. Arrange ribs in an even layer and top with the daikon, potatoes and carrots. Lock pressure cooker lid in place and set steam vent to sealing position. Select high pressure and cook for 30 minutes. Let pressure release naturally.
Step 2Transfer short ribs and vegetables to a large plate. Loosely cover with foil or plastic wrap to keep warm. Carefully pour liquid into a fat separator or large bowl and degrease. Return liquid to the pressure cooker. Using the sauté function, simmer until reduced to about 1 1/2 cups and thickened, about 15 to 20 minutes.
Step 3Add short ribs and simmer, turning, until warmed through and evenly coated in the sauce, about 2 minutes. Divide ribs among 4 shallow bowls. Repeat with vegetables, simmering until warmed, then distributing among the bowls.
Step 4Spoon the sauce over the ribs and vegetables, and serve with rice and kimchi.