Instant Pot Carrot-Saffron Risotto
An electric pressure cooker is so worth the precious counter space it takes up. Not only does food cook in a fraction of the time, but the results are rich and flavorful. Use this recipe as a guide, and sub out whatever vegetables and flavorings you have on hand. Zucchini and mint, mushrooms and thyme, or shredded butternut squash and rosemary would all be lovely in place of the carrots and saffron.
- Serves: 4 persons
- 4tablespoons unsalted butter (1/2 stick)
- 1small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2large carrots, peeled and shredded (about 2 cups)
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 2cups arborio rice (about 13 1/2 ounces)
- ½cup dry white wine
- 4cups lower-sodium chicken broth
- ¼teaspoon crushed saffron threads
- 1 ½cups grated Parmesan (about 1 1/2 ounces), plus more for serving
Step 1Set the electric pressure cooker to sauté and melt 3 tablespoons butter. Add the onion and cook, stirring until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the carrots and cook until just beginning to soften, about 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Step 2Stir in the arborio rice and cook until lightly toasted, about 2 minutes. Add the wine and cook, stirring, until it has evaporated, about 4 minutes.
Step 3Stir in the broth and saffron, cover, and set the electric pressure cooker for 5 minutes on high pressure. It will take a couple of minutes for it to come to pressure.
Step 4When the 5 minutes is up, immediately release the pressure. Carefully open the lid, stir in the cheese and remaining 1 tablespoon butter. Season the risotto to taste with salt and pepper, then serve topped with extra cheese.