Roasted Vegan Sausages With Cauliflower and Olives
Tangy-sweet raisins and salty olives make a zesty topping for this simple sheet-pan meal starring vegan sausages. As everything cooks, the cauliflower caramelizes and turns very tender, while the sausages sizzle and brown. If you’d rather make this with meat sausages, go right ahead; pork, turkey or lamb work especially well.
- Serves: 3 persons
- 1head cauliflower (about 1 1/4 pounds), cut into florets
- ¼cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more as needed
- 1teaspoon whole cumin seed
- ½teaspoon kosher salt, plus more as needed
- ¼teaspoon black pepper, plus more as needed
- 1pound vegan sausage
- ¼cup sherry vinegar or cider vinegar
- 1tablespoons honey or agave syrup
- 1small garlic clove, finely grated or minced
- Large pinch of Turkish chile or red-pepper flakes, plus more for serving
- ⅓cup golden raisins
- ⅓cup chopped Castelvetrano olives
- Fresh herbs, such as mint, cilantro or parsley, for serving (optional)
Step 1Heat oven to 425 degrees. Spread the cauliflower on a large rimmed baking sheet. Toss with oil, cumin, salt and pepper. Roast for 10 minutes.
Step 2Coat the sausages lightly with olive oil. Place on the same pan as the cauliflower. Roast, turning halfway through, until the sausages are golden and cooked through and the cauliflower is tender and caramelized, about 25 minutes longer.
Step 3Meanwhile, in a small pot, heat the vinegar until steaming. Stir in the honey or agave, garlic, Turkish chile and a pinch of salt. Add raisins and olives and let sit off the heat until serving.
Step 4Place the sausages and cauliflower on serving plates. Spoon the raisin mixture on top. Taste a cauliflower floret and add more salt and pepper if needed. Sprinkle with Turkish chile and fresh herbs, if using.