Peach Dumplings Dessert
Peach dumplings are a great everyday dessert with ice cream or a drizzle of cream and are a good way to use a bounty of fruit in place of a cobbler.
- Serves: 6 persons
- 1cup white sugar
- 1tablespoon butter (softened)
- 2cups hot water
- 2to 3 cups fresh peaches (or thawed frozen, sliced)
- 1cup flour (4 1/2 ounces all-purpose)
- 2teaspoons baking powder
- ½teaspoon salt
- Optional: 1 tablespoon sugar
- ½cup milk (or cream, more or less)
- Optional: cinnamon sugar made with 1 to 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon mixed with 1/2 cup white sugar
Step 1In a medium saucepan set over medium heat, combine 1 cup sugar, butter, and hot water. Add the sliced peaches and bring to a boil.
Step 2In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and optional 1 tablespoon of sugar. Stir in milk or cream to form a stiff dumpling-like batter.
Step 3Drop large spoonfuls of batter onto the boiling fruit.
Step 4Cover the pan and cook for about 20 minutes.
Step 5Spoon out dumplings and fruit into individual serving bowls.
Step 6If desired, sprinkle with a little cinnamon sugar (store any leftovers in a covered container at room temperature) and serve with heavy cream (whipped or as is) or ice cream.