Artichoke Stew With Lemon and Dill
This recipe for a vegetarian stew made with artichokes, carrots, and potatoes can be made as a main course or as a delicious side dish.
- Serves: 6 persons
- 1bunch green onions (about 5 or 6, chopped, include green parts)
- 10pearl onions (small white, peeled, stems trimmed, and left whole)
- 1pound new potatoes (small, red, partially peeled and cut in half)
- 10to 12 whole baby carrots (or 4 medium carrots peeled and sliced into thin rounds)
- ½cup olive oil (divided)
- 2tablespoons flour
- ¼cup fresh lemon juice (add more if you like it really lemony)
- 1cup chicken or vegetable broth
- ½cup water
- 10artichoke hearts (substitute canned or frozen if needed, cut in half)
- ¼cup chopped fresh dill
- Salt and pepper to taste
Step 1Gather the ingredients.
Step 2Heat 1/4 cup olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high.
Step 3Add the green onions and saute until tender, about 5 minutes.
Step 4Add the pearl onions, carrots, and new potatoes and continue to saute the vegetables another 5 minutes.
Step 5Add the flour to the pot and mix well. Cook the flour about a minute or two stirring constantly. Add the lemon juice, broth, water and remaining 1/4 cup oil.
Step 6Bring the liquid to a boil, reduce heat and simmer covered for about 20 minutes or until the carrots and potatoes are fork tender. Monitor the liquid levels and add a bit of water if needed.
Step 7Add the artichokes and fresh dill and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Cover and simmer an additional 15 minutes or until the artichokes are tender.
Step 8Serve and enjoy!