Vegan Portuguese Kale Soup
A hearty and yummy vegan soup that's a twist on an old favorite. Serve with homemade crusty garlic bread and you have yourself a delicious main dish.
- Serves: 4 persons
- 2teaspoons vegetable oil, or as needed
- 4vegan burger patties
- 1tablespoon vegetable oil, or as needed
- 1small onion, diced, or more to taste
- 3cloves garlic, minced
- ½teaspoon ground chipotle pepper, or to taste
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 10cups vegetable stock, divided
- 1(6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1(26 ounce) can whole plum tomatoes with juice, or to taste
- ½teaspoon adobo seasoning
- ½teaspoon sazon seasoning
- 2pounds potatoes, cut into bite-sized cubes
- 2cups chopped kale, or to taste
Step 1Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add vegan burger patties; cook, flipping halfway, until browned, about 6 minutes. Transfer to a plate and cut into bite-sized cubes.
Step 2Heat remaining oil in a pot over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic, chipotle pepper, salt, and pepper. Saute until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Add 1 cup vegetable stock and tomato paste; bring to a simmer. Add the browned vegan patties and plum tomatoes with juice.
Step 3Pour remaining vegetable stock into the tomato mixture. Sprinkle in adobo seasoning and sazon. Bring to a boil. Add potatoes and kale; cook until potatoes are tender, 10 to 15 minutes.