Roasted Golden Beet and Winter Squash Salad
Golden beets are more savory and earthy than their sugary ruby counterparts and fare better alongside the caramelized roasted winter squash in this many-textured salad. But red beets will work, too, if you don’t mind a slightly sweeter dish over all. If you can’t find delicata squash, other varieties, such as sweet dumpling (shown here), honey nut or acorn squash, make fine substitutes.
- Serves: 3 persons
- 3medium golden beets, peeled and sliced into 1-inch-thick wedges
- 5tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, more as needed
- 2tablespoons orange juice
- 1 ¼teaspoons fine sea salt, more to taste
- ¼teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, more as needed
- 1bay leaf, preferably fresh
- 3sprigs thyme
- 1bunch radishes, trimmed and halved if large
- 1large delicata squash (1 to 1 1/4 pounds), halved, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch slices, or substitute sweet dumpling or another winter variety
- ½cup cilantro or mint leaves
- 2scallions, white and green parts, thinly sliced
- ⅓cup toasted pumpkin seeds
- 1medium head frisée, torn into bite-size pieces (3 to 4 cups), or substitute arugula
- Shaved Pecorino Toscano, manchego or Parmesan, for serving
- 1tablespoon orange juice
- 1tablespoon lime juice
- 1clove garlic, grated on a Microplane or minced
- 2anchovies, minced (optional)
- ¼teaspoon kosher salt, more to taste
- ¼cup extra-virgin olive oil
Step 1Heat the oven to 375 degrees. On a rimmed baking sheet, toss together beets, 2 tablespoons oil, orange juice, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon pepper, bay leaf and thyme. Cover with foil and bake for 25 minutes.
Step 2In a medium bowl, toss radishes with 1 tablespoon oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt and a pinch of pepper. Flip beets and scatter radishes around them. Raise the oven temperature to 425 degrees and roast uncovered until everything is golden and tender, 18 to 25 minutes longer, stirring once or twice.
Step 3Meanwhile, on a separate rimmed baking sheet, toss squash with remaining 2 tablespoons oil and 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Roast in oven along with beets and radishes, until browned, 15 to 20 minutes, flipping the pieces halfway through.
Step 4Prepare the dressing: In a large bowl, whisk together orange juice, lime juice, garlic, anchovies and salt. Let sit for a minute, then whisk in oil.
Step 5As warm vegetables come out of the oven, toss them in the bowl with the dressing and let cool. Once cool, fold in cilantro, scallions and pumpkin seeds.
Step 6In a medium bowl, toss frisée with olive oil and salt to taste, then transfer to serving plate. Top with roasted vegetables, and cover generously with cheese.