Tasting this bold dressing on its own, straight out of the jar, might make your eyes widen. It is very assertive. But don’t tone it down thinking there must be an error. The high ratio of potent raw garlic to bright lemon juice to salty anchovy is very much on purpose — once you spoon the dressing over cold braised celery hearts or fennel heads or steamed cauliflower or leafy mustard greens, the ferocity is tamed. If it didn’t start so high and assertive, it would become docile rather than perfectly obedient.
- Serves: 3 persons
- 4lemons, juiced and strained (about 3/4 cup)
- 20oil-packed anchovy fillets (from one 3.5-ounce jar), drained and minced
- 9fresh, sticky, assertive garlic cloves, finely grated using a Microplane
- 2teaspoons kosher salt, plus more if desired
- 1teaspoon red-pepper flakes
- 2cups extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
Step 1Place lemon juice, anchovies, garlic, kosher salt and red-pepper flakes in a medium bowl.
Step 2Stir (don’t whisk) in the olive oil.
Step 3Season to taste with salt and several good grinds on the pepper mill for a bright, bracing dressing. Cover, and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.