Charred Scallion Dip With Lemon and Herbs
This creamy scallion dip could be the cooler cousin of ranch dressing or sour cream and onion dip. Grilled scallions add smokiness, while fresh chives and raw scallions lend brightness to the tangy, herb-flecked dip. If you don’t have a grill or grill pan, you can broil the scallions in your oven. Once assembled, the dip benefits from chilling to round out the flavors. At least an hour works, but it's better after a day. It needs nothing more than potato chips alongside, but it’s also great with crudités, crackers, grilled vegetables, fried chicken or slathered on sandwiches.
- Serves: 1 person
- 12scallions, roots and tops trimmed
- 3tablespoons minced fresh chives
- 1tablespoon finely chopped fresh dill, or 1 teaspoon dried dill (optional)
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 1tablespoon canola oil or other neutral oil
- ½cup plus 2 tablespoons sour cream or Greek yogurt
- 4ounces cream cheese, softened
- ½teaspoon lemon zest plus 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ½teaspoon onion powder
- ¼teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼teaspoon granulated sugar
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- Potato chips, for serving
Step 1Heat a grill or a grill pan over high.
Step 2As pan heats up, prepare the scallion-herb mixture: Halve 2 scallions lengthwise, then slice very thinly crosswise. Transfer to a medium bowl. Stir in chives and dill, if using. Season with salt and pepper, and set aside.
Step 3On a baking sheet, toss remaining 10 scallions with the canola oil. Season generously with salt and pepper, and toss to coat. Working in batches if necessary, grill the scallions over high heat, turning occasionally, until deeply grill-marked and slightly softened, 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board to cool.
Step 4While the scallions cool, add the sour cream, cream cheese, lemon zest and juice, onion and garlic powders, and sugar to the medium bowl with the scallion-herb mixture.
Step 5Thinly slice the grilled scallions, then add to the sour cream mixture and stir to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Refrigerate until chilled, at least 1 hour or ideally 1 day. (The flavor will deepen as it sits.) To serve, drizzle with olive oil. Serve with potato chips for dipping.