Lentil Soup With Spinach and Spicy Sausage
This delicious spinach lentil soup is made with smoked sausage and spinach, along with a spicy seasoning blend and diced tomatoes.
- Serves: 4 persons
- 1tablespoon olive oil
- 1cup onions (chopped)
- 1rib celery (diced)
- 1large carrot (diced)
- 8to 12 ounces spicy andouille sausage , chicken apple sausage, or another smoked sausage, thinly sliced
- 1large clove garlic (minced)
- 1cup lentils (rinsed)
- 1teaspoon Cajun or Creole seasoning blend
- dash cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- ½teaspoon dried leaf thyme
- ¼teaspoon ground black pepper
- 5cups chicken broth
- 1can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes
- Salt (to taste)
- 6to 8 ounces chopped fresh spinach
Step 1Gather the ingredients.
Step 2In a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat, saute the onions, celery, and carrots in the olive oil until onion is tender.
Step 3Add the sausage slices and cook to lightly brown.
Step 4Add garlic and cook for 1 minute longer.
Step 5Add the lentils, seasoning blend, cayenne, thyme, pepper, chicken broth, and tomatoes; bring to a boil.
Step 6Reduce heat to low, cover, and continue cooking for 1 hour, or until lentils are tender.
Step 7Add salt, to taste, and spinach.
Step 8Cover and continue cooking for 10 to 15 minutes longer. Serve and enjoy!