Combine two picnic favourites in this dip, with creamy coronation and hummus. Top with pomegranate seeds and enjoy with pittas and veg crudités for dunking
- Serves: 8 persons
- 2x 400g cans chickpeas
- 1garlic clove, peeled
- 5dried apricots, roughly chopped
- 2tsp mild curry powder
- 1lemon, zested and juiced
- 3tbsp tahini or nut butter of your choice (such as almond, cashew or peanut)
- 2tbsp extra virgin olive oil, plus a drizzle
- ½small red onion, finely chopped
- 2tbsp pomegranate seeds
- pinch of nigella seeds
- small handful of coriander, mint or parsley leaves
- toasted pittas and veg crudités (we used carrots, celery, cucumbers and chicory), to serve
Step 1Drain the chickpeas over a bowl, reserving the liquid from the can. Tip all but 1 tbsp of the chickpeas into a blender. Add the garlic along with the apricots, curry powder, lemon zest and juice, the tahini or nut butter, oil and some seasoning. Add 4 tbsp of the reserved chickpea liquid and blitz to a smooth paste, adding more liquid if needed. Chill until needed. Will keep chilled for up to two days.
Step 2To serve, spoon the hummus onto a plate or into a shallow bowl, using the back of the spoon to create a dip in the middle. Top with the onion, pomegranate seeds, nigella seeds, herbs, reserved 1 tbsp chickpeas and a drizzle of oil. Serve with pittas and crudités for dunking.