Spicy Vegan Mango and Tofu Stir-Fry
This is a vegan sweet and spicy tofu stir fry that was inspired by a dish I get at my local Thai restaurant. I've been working through this recipe for several years now but finally have created something I love. Ensuring all of the ingredients are thinly cut results in uniform cooking as well as a crunchy and addictive texture. This recipe also works great with chicken if tofu isn't your thing!
- Serves: 4 persons
- 1(8 ounce) can diced pineapple, undrained
- ½cup vegetable broth
- 1mango - peeled, seeded and diced
- 1habanero pepper, stemmed, or more to taste
- 1(2 inch) piece fresh ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 4cloves garlic
- 3tablespoons soy sauce
- 1tablespoon brown sugar
- 1tablespoon rice vinegar
- ½teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1(12 ounce) package extra-firm tofu, pressed and cut into thin strips
- 1tablespoon cornstarch, or as needed
- 2tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3stalks celery, cut into very thin strips
- 2large carrots, cut into thin strips
- 2mangos - peeled, seeded, and cut into thin strips
- 2green chile peppers, cut into very thin strips
- salt to taste
- 1tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro, or to taste
- 1tablespoon chopped scallions, or to taste
Step 1Combine pineapple, broth, mango, habanero, ginger, garlic, soy sauce, brown sugar, rice vinegar, and turmeric in a small saucepan. Simmer over medium heat, 10 to 15 minutes.
Step 2Pour sauce contents carefully into the bowl of a food processor or electric blender and mix until smooth. Set aside.
Step 3Place tofu in a large mixing bowl and add enough cornstarch to lightly coat all pieces.
Step 4Heat a wok over high heat. Add vegetable oil to the hot wok; heat until shimmering, about 1 minute. Add tofu and stir-fry until uniformly golden brown, about 5 minutes. Transfer tofu to a plate and set aside.
Step 5Place celery, carrots, mangos, and green peppers into the wok and stir-fry until they are soft and have a bright color while remaining firm, about 5 minutes. Add tofu back to the pan with sauce and combine well. Taste and add salt as needed. Serve topped with cilantro and scallions.