Caramel Apple Eclair Cake
This delicious no-bake dessert combines apples, vanilla pudding and cinnamon graham crackers topped off with a caramel icing. It's best to refrigerate it for 24 hours to let the dessert have time to form a cake-like consistency.
- Serves: 24 persons
- 5pounds Golden Delicious apples - peeled, cored and chopped
- 1teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1cup white sugar
- 1teaspoon all-purpose flour, or as needed
- 2(3.5 ounce) packages instant French vanilla pudding
- 3cups milk
- 1cup sour cream
- 1(8 ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1(14.4 ounce) box cinnamon graham crackers
- 1(18 ounce) container caramel apple dip
- 1tablespoon all-purpose flour
Step 1Combine the apples, cinnamon and sugar in a saucepan and set over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the apples are tender. If the mixture ends up with a lot of liquid, mix in a little bit of flour, and simmer until thickened. Remove from the heat and allow to cool to room temperature.
Step 2In a large bowl, whisk together the instant pudding and milk until smooth. Stir in the sour cream and fold in the whipped topping.
Step 3To assemble the cake, line the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish with a single layer of cinnamon graham crackers. Use a slotted spoon to make a thin layer of the apple mixture. Top with a generous layer of the pudding, about 1/3. Repeat layers until you have three layers of apples and pudding and four layers of crackers.
Step 4Warm the caramel apple dip in the microwave oven until it can be easily poured. Pour this over the top layer of graham crackers. Refrigerate for at least overnight, but up to 24 hours before serving.