Grilled Seafood Burgers With Old Bay Mayonnaise
Tender cod and sweet shrimp transform into juicy seafood burgers that are perfect for easy summer grilling. The shrimp do double duty here: They act as a natural binder, eliminating the need for bread crumbs and eggs and giving the burgers a pure seafood essence. They also lend a snappy, firm texture to the patties. A quick cook on the grill imparts great smoky notes that complement the fish, and an Old Bay mayo sauce highlights the seafood flavors even further.
- Serves: 4 persons
- 1tablespoon neutral oil, such as safflower or canola, plus more for greasing the grates
- ½pound cleaned large shrimp, cut into thirds
- 12ounces cod fillet, cut into ½-inch cubes
- ¼cup plus 2 tablespoons chopped scallions
- 1teaspoon kosher salt (such as Diamond Crystal)
- ½teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½cup mayonnaise
- 1tablespoon Old Bay seasoning
- 4toasted hamburger buns
- Lemon wedges, for serving
- Shredded iceberg lettuce and sliced dill pickles
Step 1Heat a grill to medium and oil the grates.
Step 2In a food processor, pulse shrimp a few times, just until finely chopped but not puréed. Transfer to a large bowl and add the cod, 1/4 cup of the scallions, the salt and pepper, and mix until well blended. (Hands work best.) Moisten your hands with water, then form the mixture into 4 (½-inch-thick) patties. Coat patties lightly with the oil.
Step 3Grill the burgers until lightly charred and just cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes per side.
Step 4Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, Old Bay and the remaining 2 tablespoons scallions; mix well.
Step 5Smear some of the Old Bay mayonnaise on the buns. Top each bottom bun with a burger and squeeze lemon on top. Top with some of the lettuce and pickles, close the burgers and enjoy.