How to Make Easy Gluten-Free Granola
You can make a big batch of gluten-free granola with this recipe that combines hearty oats, nuts, and seeds for a nutritious breakfast or snack.
- Serves: 20 persons
- 8cups gluten-free rolled oats
- 3cups sunflower seeds
- 2cups flax seeds (not ground flax meal)
- 1cup raw sesame seeds (not toasted)
- 1cup raw unsalted almonds (chopped)
- 1cup raw unsalted walnuts (chopped)
- 1cup raw unsalted pecans (chopped)
- ½cup unsalted butter (or ghee , clarified butter)
- ½cup sesame oil (or light olive oil)
- ¾cup honey
- ¼cup 100% maple syrup
- ½cup brown cane sugar
- 1tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 ½teaspoons salt
- 1tablespoon vanilla extract
- Optional: 1 cup dry unsweetened fruit like raisins, apricots, etc. (if adding dried fruit decrease amount of sunflower seeds from 3 cups to 2 cups)
Step 1Heat oven to 325 F/163 C.
Step 2Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper .
Step 3In a large bowl (at least 6 quarts), mix together certified gluten-free rolled oats, sunflower seeds, flax seeds, sesame seeds, almonds, walnuts, and pecans. Stir to thoroughly combine.
Step 4Place butter, oil, honey, maple syrup, brown cane sugar, cinnamon, and salt in a heavy saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Remove from heat. Whisk in vanilla extract.
Step 5Carefully pour half of the hot syrup mixture over the oat mixture in the bowl and stir to coat dry ingredients. Pour remaining syrup over oat mixture and stir again, until all dry ingredients are thoroughly coated.
Step 6Pour half of the mixture on each parchment paper-lined baking sheet and use a large spoon or spatula to evenly spread the mixture on baking sheets. Place baking sheets in heated oven.
Step 7Bake for 10 minutes. Remove baking sheets from the oven and stir ingredients. This ensures even baking. Return baking sheets to oven and bake for another 10 to 15 minutes or just until mixture starts to turn golden brown. Watch the baking time carefully to avoid burning.
Step 8Remove baking sheets from oven. For chunky gluten-free granola, stir ingredients once and allow to completely cool. For a more cereal-textured granola, stir the granola more frequently as it cools. When cool, place granola in airtight containers and store in the refrigerator.