Healthy beef chow mein
Swap your weekly takeaway for this healthy beef chow mein – it's quick to cook and low in fat and calories
- Serves: 2 persons
- 2wholemeal noodle nests (85g)
- 2tsp rapeseed or sesame oil
- 200g lean fillet steak, fat removed and cut into strips
- 1small red onion (100g), finely chopped
- 15g piece of ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 160g chestnut mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 2garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 160g ready-to-eat beansprouts
- 5 ½tsp tamari
- 1tbsp brown rice vinegar
- 4spring onions (65g), cut into diagonal lengths
Step 1Cook the noodles following pack instructions. Meanwhile, heat half the oil in a wok and stir-fry the beef over a high heat for 30 seconds until browned. Tip onto a plate, set aside, then add the remaining oil to the wok. Stir-fry the onion and ginger until softened. Add a drop of water to prevent burning, if needed and cook covered for 2-3 mins.
Step 2Stir in the mushrooms and garlic, and fry until they start to soften (around 3 mins), then add the beansprouts and cook for a minute or two more until piping hot.
Step 3Mix the tamari and vinegar together in a small bowl with 2 tbsp water. Add the drained noodles to the wok, toss well, then add the tamari mixture, spring onions and the beef. Stir-fry for a few minutes until heated through. Season with plenty of black pepper and serve.