Lamb Chops With Beans, Corn and Zucchini
Lamb chops are always a treat, especially when marinated with lots of chopped rosemary, sage and garlic, then pan-fried slowly in extra-virgin olive oil. A delightful accompaniment is a seasonal vegetable stew of fresh green beans, corn and summer squash. For the best marriage of flavors, cook the vegetables until rather soft. The chops get no sauce; the vegetables are finished with a little gremolata, in this case a mixture of parsley, scallions and lemon zest.
- Serves: 4 persons
- 3pounds lamb chops (you’ll want 2 or 3 chops per person)
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 2or 3 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
- ¼cup roughly chopped rosemary
- ¼cup roughly chopped sage
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1large onion, diced (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1pound zucchini and summer squash, diced in large cubes
- 2cups corn kernels (from 2 large ears)
- ½pound green beans, or a mix of green beans and Romano beans, trimmed and cut into 2-inch lengths
- 3scallions, finely sliced, both white and green parts
- ½cup roughly chopped parsley, leaves and tender stems
- Zest of 1 lemon
Step 1Generously season lamb chops with salt and pepper, garlic, rosemary and sage. Let marinate for at least 1 hour.
Step 2In a large skillet over medium heat, gently pan-fry the chops in 1/4-inch olive oil, about 5 minutes per side, until lightly browned. For medium-rare, cook just until rising juices are visible on the surface of chops; for medium, cook for 2 minutes more. Remove chops and let rest on a warm platter.
Step 3Meanwhile, add 2 tablespoons olive oil to a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring, until translucent, 5 to 8 minutes. Add zucchini and squash, and cook, covered, stirring occasionally until soft, 8 to 10 minutes. Season lightly with salt. (This may be done up to several hours in advance.)
Step 4To finish, raise heat to high. Add corn and beans and stir. Season with salt and pepper. Add about 1/2 cup water, cover, and cook for 5 minutes, until the mixture is soft and juicy. Taste and adjust seasoning. Sprinkle with the scallions, parsley and lemon zest.