Three bean salad with mozzarella
This substantial salad features a delicious mix of cannellini, kidney and green beans, and is ideal for a summer picnic
- Serves: 4 persons
- 320g fine beans, ends trimmed and halved if large
- 4carrots (320g), cut into slim batons
- 2red onions, halved and sliced
- 400g can cannellini beans, drained
- 400g can red kidney beans, drained
- 320g mixed colour baby tomatoes (ours were red, yellow and orange), halved
- 15g basil leaves, roughly torn
- 120g vegetarian mozzarella, cut into cubes
- 2tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1-2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2garlic cloves
- ½-1 tsp dried oregano
- 1tsp dried English mustard powder
- 15pitted Kalamata olives (about 45g), sliced
- ½tsp lemon zest and 2 tbsp juice
Step 1Boil or steam the beans and carrots for 8-10 mins until just tender. Put the sliced onions in a bowl and pour over boiling water.
Step 2Meanwhile, make the dressing. Mix all the ingredients together in a large bowl.
Step 3Tip the cooked beans and carrots into the dressing along with the drained onions, beans and tomatoes, toss well, then add the basil and toss again. Serve half, scattered with half the mozzarella and a grinding of black pepper, if you like. Will keep chilled for up to three days.