English Pea Pesto Pasta With Ham
The natural sweetness and beautiful color of English peas make them a great addition to pesto. Make this dish with or without the diced ham.
- Serves: 6 persons
- 1pound spaghetti or linguine
- 8ounces ham (finely diced)
- 2teaspoons olive oil or butter
- 1cup frozen petite green peas (thawed or lightly cooked)
- ¾cup basil leaves (packed, torn)
- ¼cup Parmesan cheese (fresh and shredded, plus more for serving)
- 2cloves garlic (minced)
- Optional: 1/4 cup walnuts
- 5tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Salt (to taste)
- Black pepper (freshly ground, to taste)
Step 1Gather the ingredients.
Step 2Cook spaghetti or linguine in boiling salted water following package directions. Drain.
Step 3Meanwhile, in a small skillet over medium heat, lightly brown the ham in 2 teaspoons of olive oil or butter.
Step 4Meanwhile, for pesto, combine in a food processor the peas, basil, Parmesan cheese, garlic, and walnuts, if using.
Step 5Run the food processor, adding olive oil a little at a time, until the mixture is finely chopped.
Step 6Taste and add salt and pepper, as needed.
Step 7Toss the diced ham and pesto with the hot pasta.
Step 8Serve with more Parmesan cheese.