Heirloom Tomato Salad with Crumbled Goat Cheese
Either way, now is when I look for ways to make our heirloom tomatoes the star of any dish I use them in. That's the case with this dish. The tomatoes were firm and sweet, with just the hint of acidity from the lemon juice, countered by the tang of onion and the creaminess of the dressing and goat cheese crumbles. Nancy and I both went back for seconds and she finished off the leftovers the next day before I could even get home!
- Serves: 4 persons
- ½cup fat-free mayonnaise
- ¼cup reduced-fat buttermilk
- 3tablespoons thinly sliced green onions
- 1½ tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1clove garlic, minced
- kosher salt to taste
- 6medium heirloom tomatoes, cored and cut into wedges
- ½cup thinly sliced onion
- 1tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2ounces crumbled soft goat cheese
Step 1Whisk mayonnaise, buttermilk, green onions, lemon juice, garlic, and salt for dressing together in a small bowl. Chill in the refrigerator until ready to use if not serving immediately.
Step 2Combine tomatoes, onion, lemon juice, salt, and pepper for salad in a bowl.
Step 3Divide mixture between plates. Drizzle with dressing and top with crumbled goat cheese.