Southwestern Chicken, Squash, and Cornbread Casserole
Turn leftover chicken into a comforting casserole with "South-of-the Border" flair! Beautiful summer squash and zucchini, along with canned Southwest style corn and RO*TEL®, join with a queso-like sauce, and everything is covered with Mexican cornbread. Garnish with sour cream, or guacamole, or salsa, whatever your taste buds desire!
- Serves: 1 person
- 1tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1cup sliced zucchini
- 1cup sliced yellow squash
- 3each scallions, sliced
- ½teaspoon chili powder
- ½teaspoon ground cumin
- ½teaspoon garlic powder
- 1(15.25 ounce) can Southwest-style corn with poblano and red peppers, drained
- 1(10 ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chiles (such as RO*TEL®), drained
- 1cup chopped cooked chicken
- 1pinch salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1(13 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 2½ cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1tablespoon cornstarch
- ¼cup chopped cilantro
- 1(6 ounce) package Mexican-style cornbread mix (such as Martha White®)
- ⅔cup milk
- ½jalapeno, sliced crosswise, or to taste
Step 1Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease a 7x11-inch baking dish.
Step 2Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add zucchini and yellow squash; cook, stirring frequently, until fork-tender, about 4 minutes. Stir in white and light green parts of scallions, chili powder, cumin, and garlic powder. Set aside scallion tops for garnish.
Step 3Add drained corn, drained tomatoes, and chicken. Cook, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid in the skillet has evaporated, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Pour the contents of the skillet into a large mixing bowl.
Step 4Pour evaporated milk into the same skillet. Toss Cheddar cheese with cornstarch and add to the skillet; stir frequently until cheese is melted and blended, about 2 minutes. Stir in cilantro.
Step 5Pour the cheese sauce over the vegetables and stir to combine. Taste and adjust seasonings.
Step 6Combine cornbread mix, milk, and egg in a large bowl. Stir until smooth. Carefully pour over the casserole; the dish will be full. Dot with jalapeno slices.
Step 7Bake in the preheated oven until cornbread is set and browned, 25 to 30 minutes. Allow to cool slightly. Garnish with scallion tops.