Chicken Tikka Masala Recipe
Juicy, pre-marinated, then grilled pieces of chicken are cooked in a rich, creamy sauce to make this delicious and popular Indian curry.
- Serves: 4 persons
- For the chicken marinade:
- 1cup fresh yogurt (should not be sour)
- 1cup finely chopped fresh coriander leaves
- 2tbsps ginger paste
- 3tbsps garlic paste
- 3to 4 tbsps garam masala
- 6peppercorns/ 2 dry red chilies
- 3tbsps lime/ lemon juice
- ½tsp orange food coloring
- 1kg chicken (breast or thigh) skinless and cut into 2" chunks
- For the gravy:
- 2medium-sized onions finely chopped
- 6cloves garlic chopped fine
- 5pods cardamom
- 1tin (400 gms approx) chopped tomatoes or 6 medium-sized fresh tomatoes chopped fine
- 2tbsps garam masala
- 2tsps soft brown sugar
- 1cup single cream
- 3tbsps almonds blanched and ground to a paste
- 3tbsps vegetable/ canola/ sunflower cooking oil
- Salt to taste
Step 1Grind the chopped coriander (keep some aside for garnishing) and all other marinade ingredients (except yogurt) to a smooth paste in a food processor .
Step 2Pour the above mix into a large bowl and add yogurt. Mix well. Add the chicken pieces and mix well. Cover the bowl and refrigerate. Allow to marinate overnight.
Step 3Thread the chicken onto skewers and keep ready.
Step 4Preheat your oven or grill to medium-high (200 C/400 F/Gas Mark 6). Place the skewers on the grill racks in your oven with a tray underneath to catch drippings. Roast open till the chicken is browned on all sides and tender. Keep aside.
Step 5Heat the oil in a deep pan on a medium flame and add the onion. Cook till soft.
Step 6Now add the cardamom and the garlic. Fry for 2 to 3 minutes.
Step 7Add the garam masala, brown sugar, tomatoes, almonds and mix well. Cook till the tomatoes are soft and a thick paste forms.
Step 8Add the grilled chicken tikka (chunks/ pieces) and stir. Cook for 10 minutes.
Step 9Add the cream and mix well. Turn off the flame. Garnish the dish with chopped coriander leaves and serve hot with naans .