When soaked overnight in milk, oats become tender and creamy. Unlike oatmeal, the uncooked but softened oats retain a fresh flavor and, of course, they’re delicious cold. Soaking dried fruit — use your favorite — alongside the oats sweetens the mixture nicely, but you can stir in additional sugar, maple syrup or honey to taste just before eating. Then, just before you dig in, top it with nuts for an irresistible crunch against the creamy oats.
- Serves: 2 persons
- ½cup old-fashioned oats
- ¼cup dried fruit, cut into small pieces, if needed
- 1tablespoon chia, flax, poppy or sesame seeds
- 1cup milk or unsweetened dairy alternative, such as almond or oat milk
- ¼teaspoon kosher salt
- Maple syrup, honey or brown sugar (optional)
- 2tablespoons chopped or sliced nuts, toasted, if desired
Step 1Mix oats, dried fruit, seeds, milk and salt in a pint jar or 2-cup airtight resealable container. Seal tightly and refrigerate for at least 5 hours or up to 5 days.
Step 2Uncover, stir well, and taste. If you prefer more sweetness, stir in some sweetener. Top with the nuts just before eating.