Slow Cooker Turkey and Chorizo Chili
This is the turkey chili I made to compete on fooduel.blogspot.com. It's not overbearingly spicy, with good texture and flavor. To thicken this chili, you can add double the amount of chorizo and stew the tomato sauce before adding it to the slow cooker.
- Serves: 10 persons
- 4tablespoons butter
- ½yellow onion, diced
- 3½ ounces dry chorizo sausage, diced
- 1yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1red bell pepper, diced
- 1green bell pepper, diced
- 2fresh red chile peppers, diced
- 1(16 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1(15 ounce) can black beans
- 1(15 ounce) can baked beans (such as Bush's® Texas Ranchero)
- 1(14.5 ounce) can Italian-style stewed tomatoes (such as Del Monte® Italian Recipe Stewed Tomatoes)
- 1(14 ounce) can whole kernel corn
- 1teaspoon hot pepper sauce (such as Tabasco®)
- ½teaspoon chili powder
- ½teaspoon paprika
- 1tablespoon olive oil
- 1pound ground turkey
- 3cloves garlic, diced
- 8ounces sour cream
- 1(8 ounce) package shredded Cheddar cheese
Step 1Turn a slow cooker on High and add butter to melt.
Step 2Heat a medium pan over medium heat. Add chorizo and cook until fats begin to render, about 3 minutes. Add onion; cook and stir until browned, 5 to 7 minutes more. Add to the slow cooker. Stir in bell peppers, chile peppers, tomato sauce, black beans, baked beans, tomatoes, and corn. Add hot sauce, chili powder, and paprika.
Step 3Heat oil in the same pan over medium-high heat. Saute garlic in the pan until browned, about 1 minute. Add turkey; saute until browned and crumbly, 5 to 7 minutes. Drain the liquid from the pan and add to the slow cooker. Turn the slow cooker to Low and cook, stirring once every hour, until reduced, about 6 hours. Serve with a spoonful of sour cream and shredded Cheddar on top of each bowl.