Chilled Watermelon Ramen
Inspired by the spirit of Juneteenth and her love of ramen, Chef Rasheeda Purdie shows us how to make her perfect chilled watermelon ramen.
- Serves: 4 persons
- 1medium size watermelon, cut in half lengthwise, one half cut 4 cups of watermelon into 1/2-inch cubes, rinds reserved, any leftover watermelon reserve for broth
- 12-ounce bottles of Kikkoman Teriyaki Sauce
- 3cups olive oil
- 1cup apple cider vinegar
- 2teaspoons onion powder
- 4teaspoons garlic powder
- 4teaspoons dried oregano
- 4teaspoons dried basil
- 2teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2teaspoon salt, or more to taste
- 2teaspoons cracked black pepper
- 2lemons, juiced
- 3scallions, julienned
- 3cups of bean sprouts
- 4individual packaged servings of ramen noodles
- 1Persian cucumber, thinly sliced coins, dressed with a squeeze of lemon and salt to taste
- 1bunch of watercress, garnish
- 1tbsp of sesame seeds, garnish
Step 1Gather the ingredients.
Step 2Combine cubed watermelon and teriyaki sauce in a large bowl and gently toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate.
Step 3Combine olive oil, vinegar, onion and garlic powders, oregano, basil crushed red pepper, salt, pepper, and lemon in a large bowl and mix well. Reserve 1 cup for rind slaw.
Step 4Using a julienne peeler, scrape the insides of the reserved watermelon rind until you have four cups of rind slaw.
Step 5To the bowl of julienned rinds, add scallions, bean sprouts, and the reserved 1 cup of vinaigrette. Mix well, cover, and refrigerate.
Step 6With a large spoon, scoop the flesh of the remaining half of the watermelon almost to the rind (see FAMILY STYLE note below) and add to a food processor or a blender. Working in batches, purée the fruit then strain through a fine-meshed sieve into a pitcher or large pourable container.
Step 7To the pitcher of strained watermelon juice add the 3 cups of Italian vinaigrette. Mix well, cover and refrigerate.
Step 8Bring a large pot of unsalted water to boil. Drop one package of noodles at a time into the boiling water and cook for 3-4 minutes. Remove cooked noodles with a strainer, run under cold water, and place noodles inside of a bowl. Repeat with remaining packages of noodles.
Step 9To serve, top noodles with watermelon poke, watermelon rind slaw, cucumbers, watercress, and sesame seeds. Lightly shake or stir the watermelon broth mixture. Pour broth low to the bowl and slowly so that it will not disturb the toppings. Serve chilled.