Marinated Mozzarella, Olives and Cherry Tomatoes
This simple dish of marinated cherry tomatoes, olives and mozzarella is best, of course, when cherry tomatoes are in season. That it gets better as it sits is a boon: Bring it to potlucks or picnics, or simply let it sit in your refrigerator, a satisfying lunch at home. A generous handful of basil leaves, sprinkled atop just before serving, gives everything a bright, herbal finish. You’ll want to make this all summer long.
- Serves: 4 persons
- 1pound cherry or grape tomatoes, a mixture of colors, halved
- Salt and black pepper
- ¾cup olives, such as Moroccan or niçoise
- ¼cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1garlic clove, smashed to a paste
- Pinch of dried oregano
- Pinch of red-pepper flakes
- 1pound fresh mozzarella, cut into ¼-inch slices
- Basil leaves, for garnish
Step 1Put cherry tomatoes in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Add the olives and toss.
Step 2In a small bowl, stir together olive oil, vinegar, garlic, oregano and red-pepper flakes. Pour mixture over tomatoes and olives. Toss well to coat and let sit for at least 10 minutes and up to an hour.
Step 3When ready to eat, arrange mozzarella in the center of a large platter (or arrange on individual plates). Spoon tomato and olive mixture over mozzarella. Garnish with lots of basil leaves.