Rockin' Oysters Rockefeller
Oysters Rockefeller is a classic seafood appetizer. This non-traditional recipe adds 3 types of cheese for a deliciously different version of the classic.
- 48fresh, unopened oysters
- 1½ cups beer
- 2cloves garlic
- 7black peppercorns
- seasoned salt to taste
- ½cup butter
- 1onion, chopped
- 1clove garlic, crushed
- 1(10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 8ounces Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 8ounces fontina cheese, shredded
- 8ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
- ½cup milk
- 2teaspoons salt, or to taste
- 1teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2tablespoons fine bread crumbs
Step 1Clean oysters, and place them in a large stockpot. Pour in beer and enough water to cover oysters; add 2 cloves of garlic, peppercorns, and seasoned salt. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat, drain, and cool.
Step 2Once oysters are cooled, break off and discard the top shell. Arrange oysters on a baking sheet. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C.)
Step 3Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook onion and garlic in butter until soft. Reduce heat to low; stir in spinach, Monterey Jack, fontina, and mozzarella. Cook until cheese melts, stirring frequently. Stir in milk; season with salt and pepper. Spoon sauce over each oyster, just filling the shell. Sprinkle with bread crumbs.
Step 4Bake in the preheated oven until golden and bubbly, approximately 8 to 10 minutes.