Instant Pot® Spicy Orange Chicken
Spicy orange chicken. I serve over basmati rice and with steamed, salted, and buttered snow peas as a side.
- Serves: 4 persons
- 1tablespoon hot chili sesame oil
- 1medium sweet onion, coarsely chopped
- 1cup chopped broccoli
- 2tablespoons finely chopped garlic
- 1tablespoon red pepper flakes
- 1teaspoon garlic salt
- 1teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼teaspoon grated orange zest
- ¾cup orange juice
- ½cup reduced-sodium tamari
- ¼cup spicy chili sauce (such as Maggi® Masala)
- ¼cup honey
- 1pound chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3tablespoons cornstarch
- ½cup chicken broth, warmed
- 2tablespoons aji mirin sweet rice cooking wine (such as Kikkoman®)
Step 1Turn on a multi-functional pressure cooker (such as Instant Pot®) and select Saute function. Heat sesame oil in the pot and add onion. Saute, stirring occasionally, until translucent, about 2 minutes.
Step 2Add broccoli, garlic, red pepper flakes, garlic salt, ginger, and orange zest. Cook and stir until fragrant, about 1 minute. Pour in orange juice, tamari, chili sauce, and honey. Stir in chicken. Select high pressure according to manufacturer's instructions; set timer for 5 minutes. Allow 10 to 15 minutes for pressure to build.
Step 3Release pressure using the natural-release method according to manufacturer's instructions, 10 to 40 minutes. Meanwhile, whisk cornstarch with chicken broth until dissolved.
Step 4Pull chicken and vegetables out of the sauce using a large slotted spoon. Place pressure cooker back on Saute mode. Cook until sauce starts bubbling; add cornstarch mixture. Let sit for 1 minute, stir, and turn pressure cooker off.
Step 5Stir aji mirin into the sauce. Add chicken and vegetables back in.