Nikujaga: Japanese Simmered Meat and Potatoes
Here's a recipe for Nikujaga, meaning "meat and potatoes". It's the Japanese version of beef stew, high in energy, low on prep and quite tasty.
- Serves: 4 persons
- 1tablespoon vegetable oil
- 6ounces beef or pork loin (thinly sliced and cut into about 2-inch lengths)
- 1onion (cut into wedges)
- ¼pound carrots (peeled and cut into bite-size blocks)
- 4potatoes (peeled and cut into quarters)
- Optional: 1/2 package shirataki noodles (washed, drained, and cut into 3-inch lengths)
- 2cups dashi soup
- 2tablespoons sugar
- 2tablespoons mirin
- 4tablespoons soy sauce
Step 1Gather the ingredients.
Step 2Heat 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil in a deep pot and sauté the meat on high heat until it changes color.
Step 3Add onion, carrot, potato, and shirataki in the pot and sauté together.
Step 4Pour dashi soup and bring to a boil.
Step 5Turn down the heat to medium and skim off any foam or impurities that rise to the surface.
Step 6Add sugar, mirin, and soy sauce and put a drop-lid.
Step 7Simmer until vegetables are softened.
Step 8Serve and enjoy.